Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lasagna, Lasagna, I love you, Lasagna, you're only a few ingredients away.

One of the dishes that has been on my "to do" list for a long time has been Lasagna. This has been something I've put off for years, but after one too many hints from mom, I decided to just go for it. After seeing a few more elaborate recipes online, I decided to try one of the "easy" recipes first to ease into the wonderfully gooey world of lasagna.

After looking through a few recipes I opted to go for the version on Diana's Kitchen (check out the recipe there!). 

I made a few changes: 

  1. Used my own sauce!
  2. Mozzarella cheese instead of Monterey Jack.
  3. Fresh garlic instead of powdered, and used earlier to help the flavors meld sooner. 

Everything else was kept the same.

I set up the ingredients diligently. Also note the beer: The beer is very important (for my own enjoyment).


The all important basic tomato sauce. With the slight substitution of using organic sauce rather than whole tomatoes, it's the same sauce that I use for my pizzas, which I've described quite a while ago.


Water is brought to a boil then salted, and the noodles cooked according to the package. Pops said he'd prefer a slightly softer noodle but didn't have a real problem with it.


Poured gently into a strainer to drain and cool.


Chopped onions


Chopped mushrooms.


To be tossed into the browning meat.



Cook it all down and add the sauce and the seasonings.


I laid the lasagna noodles by threes..


And layered with sauce, cheese...


..and more cheese!


This is repeated a twice more.


An errant extra noodle was laid across, as my motto is waste not. I suppose it could have been added to the layer before without much ill effect.


A final layer of cheese:


After baking.


Wonderfully delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment