Thursday, November 3, 2011

For Breakfast, Trying my Best! My First Try at Omuraisu AKA Japanese Rice Omelette & First Try with French Omelette Technique

After enjoying myself a week ago making miso soup for the first time I wanted to explore more Japanese dishes, which inspired this morning’s breakfast, a nice plate of Omuraisu (or omurice, omu rice.) For all things Japanese, I turn to the JustHungry blog for my recipe needs.

Now, for a brief lesson, Omuraisu is a yohshoku, or Japanese version of originally Western dish that has gone native.

It being the morning, I wasn’t altogether there in taking rigorous pictures, but I think you’ll get the idea. The ingredient list really reminds me of making fried rice the way I do at home, just replacing the Chinese sausage with ham, organizing the egg a bit differently, and adding ketchup. And replacing the fish sauce with salt.

In addition to a ten inch nonstick or cast iron skillet suitable for making omelets you will also need:

  • One cup of rice
  • Two eggs
  • Half a cup of cooked ham, diced (or chicken breast)
  • Half of a small onion, chopped
  • A few knobs of butter
  • Salt and pepper
  • Ketchup

First I prep my ingredients, scrambling the eggs with some salt and pepper, chopping the ham, and the onion. As this gets ready quickly, it’s handy to have everything ready to go. My rice cooker with leftover rice from last night is located right behind where I stand to use the range, so that was handy as well.

omuraisu 016

 

First, add a knob of butter to your pan, set over medium heat.omuraisu 017

Cook the onion for a minute or so to become translucent.

omuraisu 018

Then add the ham and give it a bit of cooking to bring out the flavor.

omuraisu 019

Toss in a few spoons of your rice, and mash it through with your cooking implement to soften it and get it nicely heated through so it is easier to mix.

omuraisu 020

Once heated and broken down, season your rice with salt and pepper, and add a small dab of ketchup, or more depending on  your tastes.

omuraisu 021

Mix it through to color the rice.

omuraisu 022

Once you are satisfied with this part, plate the rice into an omelet shape. Or do the best you can, like me.

omuraisu 024

Now clean your pan and add another knob of butter.

omuraisu 025

Then make an omelet. Sorry, this required a lot of focus so I couldn’t take a picture. I tried my best to do it like Jacques. 

Plate nicely on top of your omelet shaped rice. Or just try your best, me.

omuraisu 026

If you are confident (or just daring like me) cut the omelet in half and allow the runny interior to run into the rice. In my case it just kind of sat there. I will pursue this again! As soon as I can justify having eggs again. While it did not look quite as nice as the pros do, it was still delicious!

omuraisu 028

No comments:

Post a Comment